Thursday, April 28, 2011
THURSDAY--Another edition of..........
A flip of the fedora to Jimmy Cannon
NOBODY ASKED ME BUT......
1) This Sunday is Yom Hashoah---Holocaust Remembrance Day. A brief moment at the start of Traditions will commemorate the event with the voice of Paul Robeson. Sunday Simcha will have ended with a Priestly Blessing. More thoughts on Yom Hashoah and events of similar horror is discussed in a previous blog ---scroll down.
2) Now that Pres. Obama has put his birth certificate on the internet it only seems appropriate that people look at my original passport---it is on Facebook. One has to keep up with the celebs and power brokers.
3) Watching the 15 year old re-runs of Homicide—Life on the Street always delivers something new---a great comment (I never saw before) by Det. Munch (Richard Belzer)---“..the only thing more boring than a baseball game is a Ken Burns documentary about Baseball”. It had to be said.
4) I am delighted that so many people have liked (and requested) more material by Dennis Wolfberg on Sunday Simcha. Sadly, due to his early demise, it is limited but the requests will be obliged as best as possible.
5) “Get Low” is another brilliant Robert Duvall film and I wonder how many people see, as I do, the analogy in the plot with the Jewish trek through the desert for 40 years.
6) So many meaningful places that instilled wonderful values are gone now and not truly replaced by any equivalent. I am thinking of Ethical Culture School Camp (ECSC) after just receiving an e mail from someone who’s parents were cook and handyman at the place those many years back. He, as I, felt it was the most influential place in our future lives. Check out the website of the person who organizes re-unions to find out more--- www.ecsccampinfo.com
7) But a great bit of training it was to learn touch typing and now all you need to use are your thumbs. Whatever happened to writing full sentences? What happened to a regular keyboard (or typewriter) as opposed to the annoying lap-top flat keyboards for which you need at least 12 thumbs and no fingers.People are always texting---picture 2 people in a restaurant for an intimate dinner. They do not speak, They text each other about what they should order. After they text the order to the waiter and eat they go home and text each other while having sex to ask ---“...how are you doing?’—the reply “...LOL”---OMG