Thursday, August 26, 2010
The flip of the fedora to Jimmy Cannon
NOBODY ASKED ME BUT......
1) What a great “Biography” the other day about Richard Pryor. Truly a comic genius albeit an eccentric one. Perhaps that is what it takes.
2) It surely is tough to be “new” when TV and the internet never let anything pass away.
3) It is time to do more “self deprecating” Jewish humor on Sunday Simcha---it always seems to work. Take this one---Pre WW2 a Jew is reading “Der Sturmer” in a coffee shop (the anti Semitic Nazi paper) and his friend asks him why he reads such trash---because, he says, all I see in the Jewish papers is how we are suffering and this tells me how we are controlling everything---truly uplifting.
4) Tom Lehrer was right in his piece about National Brotherhood Week---the names change but the attitudes remain. Sad!
5) Agree or disagree about the Islamic Cultural Center in NYC but tell me where I am going to get a bargain in a coat now with the Burlington Coat Factory not being landmarked. Joe and Paul would be turning over in their fictional graves.
6) Must I carry on my Harry Chapin Song Night hopes with only Stuart Marcus as a supporter (and the leader)?
Some tales have great morals ala Aesop—
An old man, a boy & a donkey were going to town.
The boy rode on the donkey & the old man walked.
As they went along they passed some people
who remarked it was a shame the old man
was walking and the boy was riding.
The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right,
so they changed positions.
Later, they passed some people who remarked,
'What a shame, he makes that little boy walk.'
So they then decided they'd both walk!
They passed some more people who thought
they were stupid to walk when they had a
decent donkey to ride.
So, they both rode the donkey.
Now they passed some people
who shamed them by saying how awful to
put such a load on a poor donkey.
The boy and man figured they were probably right,
so they decide to carry the donkey.
As they crossed the bridge,
they lost their grip on the animal
and he fell into the river and drowned.
The moral of the story?
If you try to please everyone,
you might as well...
Kiss your ass goodbye!
7) Why do artists who send in material try, many times, to say who they will remind you of? Uniqueness and originality is what got the people they refer to where they are.
8) In my attempt to alienate most people I will say that any artist who thinks he or she reminds me of Dylan is a real turn-off since you may have noticed he is not on any of my playlists.
9) The “vast” readership of this weekly blog is invited to an annual get-together and given the numbers we could meet at a Telephone booth of their choosing---while they are still there.
10) But---if you are leaving on a Jet Plane these days have you figured out that the fare is cheap and the incidentals will break you? Fly naked with not baggage! Seems like pleasurable air travel has gone the way of dramatic train travel---sooner or later space travel will lose its mystique.